Sick at Work

Yesterday was not a fun day.  I got to work and started with a report that I need to do every morning.  It is a relatively easy report and usually takes me about five minutes to get done.  It was a slow morning and about an hour after I got there, I’d only taken one phone call.

I was just starting to enter something into my computer when my stomach started feeling a bit crampy.  I thought it might be the start of heartburn, so I took two Tums.  That didn’t help in the least and the pain was getting worse by the second.  I turned my phone off and went to the bathroom because I was starting to feel a little queasy.

I got back to my desk to find my phone ringing.  I don’t know how that happened because I’d turned my phone off so the person who was calling me must’ve dialed my direct extension.  I answered the phone and the caller started telling me what he wanted.  I knew that I was getting closer to throwing up, so I asked him to hold.  I asked a co-worker if she could take the call because I was feeling sick.  I got him transferred to her and ran for the bathroom.  At least I made it before I started throwing up.

The pain was intensifying instead of abating.  I thought throwing up would take care of the pain because that is usually what happened when I get heartburn.  Not so this time, so I knew it wasn’t heartburn.  I went back to my desk and sent my boss an email to let her know I was going home sick.  I ran back to the bathroom and threw up again.

A woman from another office was in there and asked if she could help me.  I told her I’d just called someone to pick me up but I’d appreciate it if she could help me get to the front door.  Another woman came and asked what she could do so I asked her to get my purse and coat. Again I threw up, this time into a garbage can in the lobby.  My boss came out to see if she could drive me home.  One of the women had interrupted her conference call right as it was wrapping up to tell her how sick I was.  I told her I had a friend coming to get me and I apologized for having to leave because we were already short-staffed for the day.  She told me not to worry about it and I was in no shape to work anyway.

My friend arrived and took me to Urgent Care.  I threw up again as I was walking in to the building (thankfully, they’d given me a couple garbage bags to take with me) and once as the nurse was getting ready to take my vitals.

The doctor came in and told me that I needed to go to the ER and he refused to even examine me.  I told him I didn’t have insurance and couldn’t afford an ER trip.  He asked me if I could afford a funeral any easier.  He decided to do blood work and give me a shot of phenergan to stop the puking.  I was lying down, waiting for the nurse to come back in with my shot when the pain disappeared as quickly as it had started.

I was left feeling completely wrung out and exhausted.  The shot made me sleepy so I came home and slept for 3.5 hours.  A couple hours later, I called my boss to let her know that I was feeling better and that I suspected food poisoning.  I think I’d had a bad egg for breakfast that morning.

I feel fine today.  There are no lingering problems other than I’m very tired.  I was so busy at work that the day flew by.  I’m going in early tomorrow to catch up on the work I didn’t get to finish today.  It’s been quite a week and it’s only Tuesday!

It makes me wonder what’s in store for the rest of the week.


1 Comment


    1. Sick at Work – Part 2 | Hope Wears Heels

    Leave a Reply

    Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

    You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

    Google+ photo

    You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

    Twitter picture

    You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

    Facebook photo

    You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


    Connecting to %s

    %d bloggers like this: